Subject: Re: [Leica] f/8 and be there
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:28:43 -0700

John Coan wrote:

> Agree that a Rolleiflex is far from a klunker.  I have a 2.8E and find it
> pretty fast if you use the sports finder and little mirror/magnifier.  I
><Snip>
> They also make great "stealth" cameras, despite their size.  People see
> them and think you're playing around with a quaint antique and isn't that
> cute.  The shutter is quieter than an M too.  And the number one trick of
> all -- turn the body 90 degrees and look down while framing, focusing, and
> shooting to the side.  It's easy to pretend you are messing with the
> controls or some other such diversion.
>
> I would like to try out one of those Speed Graphics some time.... with one
> of those huge flash bulb reflectors.
> ><Snip>
I never got many shots with My speed graphic my 127 Ektar is put together wrong
perhaps by me when I put it back together again once I'm going to take another
look at it.
My 2.8 F Rolleiflex I got 20 years ago with that darn prism and pistol grip.
When I finally got a regular pop up finder with  the sports finder and little
mirror/magnifier that camera became much more useful to me. Much lighter and
less top heavy and I brace it against my side after fine focusing to shoot from
the hip(or tummy).
Quieter than a Leica I hate to say yet another time.
But if you smashed someone in the head with it it might break and you cant then
just wip out a screwdriver and fix it.
And the negs are only two and a quarter square. What can you do with those
little things! Cant' tap dance on them!
Mark :-) Rabiner

Message from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (RE: [Leica] f/8 and be there)