Subject: Re: [Leica] Doing it manually- Heiland Splitgrade
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:33:52 EDT

<<I found

that metering, at least with the system I use, I can get a relatively decent

print with the first or second time- and it at least puts me in the

'ballpark' for any further dodging or burning.>>

Hi Dan,

Since I'm the one who started this thread when I asked about the Heiland
Splitgrade, I thought that I should follow up.  I spoke to John Bicht at
Versalab-the US distributers for the Heiland (phone-970/622-0240,
john@versalab.com)  He made a point of asking me what I wanted it to do, and
he agreed with my thinking that it is a good way to make work prints
efficiently, but is not designed for fine printing.  That still takes
judgement and experience, although the Heiland can be a good starting point.
John sent me a pdf of the users manual, and it looks to be a simple tool to
use, and can easily be customized for personal preferences.  The downside is
that it costs $1325.00 for my enlarger, and can't be returned if I don't like
it.  On the other hand that's less than a new Leica lens, so we'll see....

Richard Wasserman

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: Re: [Leica] Doing it manually- Heiland Splitgrade)