Subject: Re: [Leica] Need equipment suggestion
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:20:19 +0200

Hi Richard,

Do you always end up using the SAME two lenses? If so, then you already know the
answer to the question. If I were in your situation, I would take one R body
with a 35-70mm zoom and one M body with  24mm and 90mm lenses. However...

I just rode my motorcycle from Brussels to Zurich last weekend, with a stopover
at a friend's place in Stuttgart. I had with me most of my M equipment: two M6s
plus 15, 24, 35, 50, 90 and 135mm lenses. I was carrying everything in an
M-Classic satchel (similar in size to the Domke 803) and it really was not very
heavy when walking around the towns on the way. My main concern was actually to
shield the Leicas from excessive vibration, as I was travelling on a rather
buzzy Suzuki 500. But towels and other padding in the top case took care of
that.

The area you are going to visit is possibly the greatest motorcycling country in
the world. I envy you.

Nathan

"Clompus, Dr. Richard [SLGUS]" wrote:

> Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> I am planning a two week trip with my family to southern Bavaria (Germany)
> in August.  I hope to visit the Alps from three different countries and get
> some time on a BMW R1100RT rental bike.  When ever I travel, I always pack
> too much Leica gear.  My bag is always too heavy and I end up using only 1-2
> lenses anyway.  I've got a rather large assortment to choose from when it
> comes to bodies and lenses from both systems as well as a Contax T2 and
> TVSII.  .
>
> If you could take only 1-2 lenses from an R or M system, what would you
> take?  It may sound silly to many but I'm getting tired of carrying a 15
> pound camera bag.  It wasn't so bad when I was a college kid (mostly Canon
> gear then) but at 46 I'd rather walk more and feel better at night.  Perhaps
> I should change from drinking single malt scotch to Weis Beir and schnaps
> when in Germany.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Happy shooting,
>
> Richard
>
> Richard Clompus, OD
> Roanoke, VA, USA

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman