Subject: Re: [Leica] flash sf20
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:07:19 -0400

Muhammad,

I did much the same thing.  I already had a 40mz3 flash that I use with my
Contax medium format camera.  I ordered the SCA module for Leica TTL on an
M6 (see footnote) but returned it.  I got an SF 20 to carry around in my
small bag.  And I just found out from this list that my existing Nikon
SC-17 off camera flash cord happens to work!  Joy joy!  I haven't been to
the store to get a pair of CR123 batteries, but plan on doing so later
today and give it a try out.  Of course, with the off camera cord you can
compensate for the Leica flash's lack of a tilting flash head by pointing
it at a ceiling.  I was wondering if it is powerful enough to use a Stoffen
omni bounce bare bulb simulator?  Stoffen probably doesn't even make one to
fit the flash head, but something along those lines could probably be
rigged up.  Perhaps a simple card rubber banded to the flash head --- I'm
thinking that I'd like just enough direct light for catch lights and a
little shadow fill.

Footnote:  B&H shipped me the wrong SCA module.  For the M6 TTL you need a
3501 M1, not a 351.