Subject: OT Nazi Drugs WAS:Re: [Leica] Nazi whisky
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:49:02 -0400

Wasn't he a drug addict?  I seem to remember a story that the opiod
methadone was invented in Nazi Germany as a substitute for morphine, which
was unobtainable due to all the poppy growing areas being under control of
the other side in the war.  I remember reading he took drugs, perhaps not
methadone but amphetamine?

In the same stream of thought I read somewhere else that the United States
has a strategic reserve of either morphine or opium (from which one may
manufacture the former) for war use.  With all the newer completely
synthetic painkillers now I wonder if this is even a necessity?

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: OT Nazi Drugs WAS:Re: [Leica] Nazi whisky)