Subject: Re: [Leica] OK...money where my Leica is.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 06:15:48 -0700

"M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" wrote:

> My first real attempt at anything for cash, using just available light with
> my Leica and B&W.
>
> A fun change of pace from Portraits, Weddings and Nature shots and the
> clients loved them.      But is it art?   Comments, Critiques?

Hello  Michael,

It depends on who the viewer is. What will be art for one person will be
garbage to another,

If one considers in Canada some purchases made by the National Art
Gallery of Canada as art, when the majority of the population wouldn't
hang it on the wall of an out house.

(for those international LUG members.....  an out house is a small
wooden privy outside the main house where one has bowel movements)  and
yet they'll pay 3 million dollars for it simply because..... they think
it's art"

So your question is tough. At one time photojournalism wasn't considered
art until the Museum of Modern Art in New York considered it so ......
then photojournalism became a viable work of art in the eyes of the art community.

Is your work art?  Good question?  Ask MOMA.
ted

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] OK...money where my Leica is.)