Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:23:22 +0200

Depends on how you define "couldn't have been made". D3200 is not really a 3200
film. Its true speed is in the 1000-1600 neighborhood. The same is true for
Kodak's TMZ. I have pictures shot at f1 and 1/60 sec. at D3200 rated at 1600
(and no, I do not have them scanned at the moment, and because I am in the
middle of packing for the move to Switzerland, I cannot scan them right now--you
will just have to take my word for it). Now, could these pictures have been made
with a Summilux? Technically yes, I could have shot at f1.4 and 1/30. BUT I
would then run the risk of movement of both the camera and subject, thus
reducing the chances of a successful photo. Or I could have shot at f1.4 and
1/60 and developed the film for EI=3200, but then I would have coarser grain and
higher contrast, neither of which is desireable in an already grainy and
contrasty situation. Is a Noctilux necessary for successful low-light
photography? No. Is it nice to have for that purpose? Definitely.

Nathan

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Soory, you got that wrong. You seem to miss my point entirely, Henning. I'd
> like to see the Delta 3200 shot with a noctilux that couldn't have been made
> with a 1.4 lens. Can you show it to me? Arthur

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch