Subject: Re: [Leica] E-Bay Advise
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:52:39 -0700

Kip-
Your experience seems to reflect my experiences with eBay as well. I have
bought a lot of stuff, and sold quite a bit, and have always had relatively
good experiences. As a seller, I clearly state that if I describe an item,
and it is not as stated, then I will refund the money. In one case, I sold a
90mm Summicron-R which turned out to have black flakes inside the lens-
surprisingly, only two years after having a third cam added, and a CLA by
Leica, USA. I had not noticed the spots, and refunded his money and
shipping- which was only fair.
I always figure that unless the seller says that the camera has had a CLA,
that I can count on having it worked on- invariably. Even a mint IIIf I
bought, still in the original box, had to have a CLA to operate right. I
understand as a buyer, that most of these cameras have been in estates, and
that the owner probably hasn't even seen the camera in 20-25 years, and the
thing is going to need a little work! Unless the seller says it has had a
CLA, and is willing to document it, count on having it looked after before
you use it!
Lenses- any LTM lens is probably going to need at least a cleaning- I have
bought three that didn't need it, but I would suspect that they had been
attended to rather recently. Of course two were bought from an LHSA member,
which is another matter altogether! I have always been pleased buying from
an LHSA member- they seem to be carrying the banner of responsible Leica
ownership, and I have never been disappointed by buying from one!
Feedback does count, too!
Dan ( A-wheelin' and a-dealin') POst