Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:tri-elmar
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:53:41 -0400

Laurence:

I've been using one since they were first on the market, and I'm very
pleased with it. It's a great walking around lens, though it would be even
better (although heavier) if its aperture were faster. Erwin Puts has an
excellent review of the lens on his site
<http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses/pages/l11890.html> , rating it
comparable to the performance of Leica's prime lenses of 28, 35, and 50mm.

It has some quirks to consider. First, there is no DOF scale on the barrel.
Second, the placement of the focusing and aperture rings is nonintuitive
for persons trained in using generations of Leica optics. And third, as I
indicated above, the maximum aperture of f4.0 will be an important
limitation for some users.

All that said, the T-E is the optic I use most with the M6.///Dick Baznik
_______