Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 100 barcode?!
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:08:29 -0700

This is an all too true situation!
Actually, the machine can be programmed for the given 'bias' because each
emulsion type has its own 'filter pack', as I referred to it since I started
printing color back in the 70's when you used a stack of gelatin filters of
various values to get the right balance.
We had test negatives that the scanner could read, and if the balance
changed, like when Fuji went from the older Fujicolor to the 'Superia'
emulsions, before we had the test negatives, we could do what was know as a
'ring-around' print- this was a series of prints from a negative, and we
picked the one having the closest balance- then we ran it again, and the
printer would make a ringaround series with the new setting, making changes
in different filtration in a ringaround pattern- that is to say, it made a
print from the chosen bias, and made a series of prints that added
increments of filtration, in small steps, and numbered each print- the
operator had only to enter the number of the print that was closest to the
desired balance.
After a couple of ringaround prints, the balance for a new emulsion was
pretty close, and then you assigned it a channel number, and programmed the
printer to use that channel for that barcode.
The problem with the chromogenic film was that the paper had three
emulsions, each with a different 'slope' or characteristic response. IF you
balanced the printer for a neutral gray at normal exposure, then when you
encountered an overexposed negative, the longer exposure time to print it
meant that the balance of the three emulsions shifted, relative to each
other since they had different responses to different exposures. Normally,
the channel program made corrections- to counter this 'bias', and with color
negatives, the variation was not usually noticable unless the slopes where
really on the shoulder or down on the toe. This meant that for the most
part, the prints were withing acceptable balance. Certainly not what a
'custom' lab would do, but good enough for government work, as we used to
say.
The B&W chromogenic film however, would have a noticable shift- as I recall,
overexposed negatives would hae a slight green cast, and under exposed would
have a slight magenta cast. This bias could be either a coolness or sepia
tone, to a puke green or rosy reddish cast, depending on how over or under
the negative was!!!
These printers are, as you know, are not idiot proff. IF you take a pretty
sharp person who understands a bit of color theory, then you can teach them
to run the machine in a week, and get pretty good results 75-85% of the
time. Some folks are naturals and can start to 'read' the negative, even on
machines with video monitors, and within a relatively short time, tell what
bias to add to the channel- for example, the green light from flourecsent
light give a magenta cast to a negative, so if you are printing along, and
see a negative with a strong machenta cast, you almost instuinctively add
30M+10Y and depending on the situation, get a better looking print ( Our
discussion of hospital lighting comes to mind- here the hospitals use these
horrid cheap tubes that often require +40M to get close!)
Unfrotunately, since the printers are somewhat 'automatic', you find too
many instances where the operators, even with a video monitor, don't know
about the density and color changing keys that let you 'get what you see!'
I had a roll developed at the beach at a Wal-Mart where they had a brand new
SFA-298 printer, and got prints back that were not properly exposed- I asked
why hadn't they made any changes, and the little girl (well, I'm a grandpa,
so anyone under thirty is a little girl to me!)why she hadn't made the
necesary corrections- she said that she didn't know you could! I spent five
minutes showing her which keys made changes in the density, and color, and
she felt like she was suddenly empowered! I told her to read the manual
until it made sense, get John Hedgcoe's book on color, and she'd probably be
managing the place in six months!
My only gripe is that the bulk film I get doesn't have the barcode (which is
why a lot of places DON'T like to do bulk loaded film- it not because they
are afraid of 'contamination'- they just are helpless to know what channel
to use if the barcode doesn't tell them!
Sorry for the ramble! I would say that many one hour labs are dependable- I
worked at a Wolf Camera, and they were very good about maintaining the
machines and seeing that the operators were fairly competent, and if you do
find a competent one hour lab, it's not improper to ask to have a specific
person do your film! I worked on weekends only, and had a 'regular'
clientele who asked for me, or came by on weekends, and gave me sodas and
houseplants in appreciation at times! A regular customer is easy to please
once the operator knows what makes 'em happy! I personally knew who like
darker more saturated print, or slightly lighter prints, those who liked a
'cool' look and those that like a slight warm look.
Good luck on your search- I am sure that you can find a lab that has a kid
in there that loves to make photos, maybe as much as I do/did and just pray
that the manager treats 'em right, and pays them what they can be worth!
Dan (Love to do it in the dark!) Post