Subject: Re: [Leica] Deals we shouldn't oughta have made
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2000 19:42:12 -0700

On Fri, 23 June 2000, "Walter Levy" wrote:

> In the spirit of the recent "Stupid photography mistakes" thread, I suggest
> this "Deals we shouldn't oughta have made" and I'll offer my sad tale of woe
> (or is that woeful tale of sadness?)  Sold a lovely IIIg with 5cm
> collapsible Elmar(?) for $400 in the 80s.  The guy who bought it sent his
> wife in while he waited in the car (probably for a quick getaway!)  She
> plunked down the cash, grabbed the camera and was off like a shot.  $400...
> sheesh!
>
> Anybody else want to step up to the plate?
>
> - Walter

Here's another, but it's a deal I should have made.  While browning through the local ad paper I came across an ad describing an "old German camera with 3 lenses, $300".  My curiosity got the best of me and I called.

The owner wasn't sure what kind of camera it was, it had been her mother's and had hardly ever been used.  She then looked at the camera and said it some script on the top of it said "Leica" and in another place was engraved "M3".  Once I picked my jaw up from the floor I tried to imagine how I could come up with $300, really quick.  Unfortunately I was more broke than I'd ever wanted to be and it was a choice between the camera and starving the kids for a month.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!