Subject: Re: [Leica] Film - freeze or cool?
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2000 07:18:43 -0700

On Sun, 25 June 2000, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I hope someone has the definitive answer to this....
>
> In my new house in Switzerland the fridge is quite small and I suspect
> that my wife prefers to keep food in it rather than my films. On the
> other hand, there is a huge freezer in the basement. I recall someone
> saying that freezing film is not good for some reason, which I forgot.
> What is the scoop? My impression is that freezing is OK as long as one
> allows the film 12 hours to come up to room temperature before opening
> the plastic canister.
>
> TIA.

The "12 hour" rule gives plenty of time for the film and cassette to reach a temperature where condensation won't be a problem.  Obviously this will vary considerably depending on the local climate so 12 hours probably includes a very large margin for error.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!