Subject: [Leica] My copyright!
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:18:51 +1000

Hi Luggers,

Yesterday, up at the soccer fields, one of the under 6's ran up to me
and said, "Thanks Mister, the photo you took of me was in the
newspaper!"  Meaning an action photo of him.

Well, that's interesting, since I didn't put it in there!

I saw his dad a few minutes later and mentioned the boy's excitement.
The name of the paper was mentioned.

So, a local newspaper has reproduced one of my photos, without
permission.  It could be that the parents passed the print I sold to
them for a minimal fee to the editor.  I'm going to have a little fun
and explore this.

Who should I sue?  The paper, the parents or the six year old?

The action photos I take end up on coffee cups, T shirts, posters,
calendars, etc, all without my permission, and I'm not that fussed if
its for personal use, but reproducing a photo in a newspaper is another
thing, to my mind.

How's about I ask them for a fee equalling my reprint price x the
paper's circulation?

Yippee!

Rick Dykstra

Replies: Reply from Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> (Re: [Leica] My copyright!)