Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommendations for San Diego and New Orleans?
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:46:50 -0400

Hello Martin,

I lived in New Orleans for many years and offer this advice:

Take the St. Charles Avenue trolley through the "Garden District".
Photograph the beautiful homes from the trolley.  Don't wander off on foot
onto side streets.

The famed French Quarter is a photographer's mecca.  For fantastic "people
pictures", spend a few hours in Jackson Square.  Do not, however, wander
around the quieter parts of the Quarter after dark with your Leica visible.

If you leave any camera gear behind at the hotel, have it locked away in the
hotel safe.  Do not leave it in your room.

Do not travel alone into quiet neighborhoods or, especially, the picturesque
cemeteries...as tempting as they'll be.

Notice the theme here?

These tips are not designed to frighten or discourage you, but please be
careful in New Orleans.  This tourist-dependant city is relatively
poverty-stricken.  As with any similar city in the world the crime rate is,
consequently, high.  Stay with the crowds and don't  "advertise" your Leica
, though, and you'll be fine.

Despite this caveat, New Orleans is one of the most photogenic cities on the
planet.  You'll have a ball!

Craig
Boston