Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey
From: carl cook <clcook@halcyon.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:45:18 -0700

And do you
really think that one photo, or a thousand, can alter the course of history
or save even one life?  It's a nice idea, but I don't think it works. Arthur

Try Eugene Smith's Nurse Midwife essay for Life that brought in some $25k
- -- unsolicited -- to build a clinic, or his classic Minamata essay and book
that brought the environmental movement to Japan. Photos can be mighty
persuasive.

Nachtwey's book should be required reading, especially for those who
watched Kosovo, Bosnia and the Gulf War on TV and thought we did great
stuff -- not to mention the generals and civilian policy makers!

carl

Photojournalism, Natural History, Historic Documentation
360.943.6049
http://www.halcyon.com/clcook/photowks.htm

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey)