Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #245
From: carl cook <clcook@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:28:20 -0700

Nice logic:
User says camera dies in the middle of a roll.
The only thing on a mechanical camera that can expire (die) is the battery.
Therefore the user "could be" the problem. The tone of voice indicated that
the user was "probably" the problem.

Anything mechanical can "die" at any time. A mechanical camera can
experience shutter jam, the sprocket wheel could freeze up, tearing the
film when it's advanced, the film advance could stop advancing. Heck, the
whole thing could fall apart! Even those precious Leicas could experience
such a thing. Especially these days!

About a month and a half ago, I purchased my second Leica body, the vaunted
M6 TTL, brand new, from a very reputable store. The rangefinder was off --
the images would not converge (a brand new sealed in the box M6...BROKEN?
The shock!). The sales rep traded me for another one. This camera works
fine except that so far, the only sync cord I can get to work in it is from
an old Vivitar 283. A cord from a Norman strobe won't work, nor did a
couple of various cords from a local camera store that were attached to
various flash units. All of these worked fine on my old M4-2 and on my
Nikon N90s and old F2 and F3.

Yes, it's quite possible that the fellow's camera problem is with the
batteries, but it is also quite possible that something else is wrong as
well. He didn't elaborate. The Leica company is not a microcosm. In the
rest of the world, many companies that were once known for their high
standards have let quality control slip through the cracks. Leica might
make the greatest camera in the world -- and I dearly love mine, but they
are as vunerable to the forces of the business world as anyone else.

Give the guy a break. Maybe he'll write back with the resolution to his
problem.

Carl

http://www.halcyon.com/clcook/photowks.htm

Replies: Reply from Jeff S <4season@boulder.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #245)