Subject: RE: [Leica] Sally Mann - jeeez...
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:18:20 -0600

Well, being the one who mentioned Sally Mann in the first place and PLEADED
there not be a"luggish" discussion of her work, I see nobody took any notice
as usual.

Jeeez (my one theological observation) you guys are so predictable. I could
have saved you all time and composed a thread of for and against posts
beforehand!  ;-)

Tim A

Who happens to like Sally Mann's work (and who has worked with lots of
children, in Europe and N. America, as well as in the two-thirds world,  who
have been taken advantage of, abused, exploited. And I can assure you, any
one of them would have been happy to trade places with Sally Mann's kids...
In our society, I am sure it's the parents who raise their kids on TV soap
operas and sitcoms, who view going to McDonalds as a cultural and patriotic
outing, and probably pass on their religious neuroses as well who do most
harm to their kids) - just couldn't resist wading in! BTW, all photographers
who photograph people, especially the genre Nachtwey, McCullin (who openly
admits it), Sau et al exploit the people they photograph to some degree or
other, more than we often realise. They may be doing it for a good cause,
their own artistic beliefs and needs, their craft, or their own need for
fullfilment. Did you read the effect of the famous picture of the soldier
and dead comrade in a chopper during the Gulf had on the soldier - sobering.
He can't ever forget that moment and let it fade into the past, because
everyone knows of it, reminds him of, and the picture comes out more than a
few times a year.  (and yes, I still like Nachtwey and McCullin's work, the
Nachtwey still doesn't seem the have what "The Don" had (and still has in
his new work).

For Sally Mann:

http://www.nerve.com/Oxenhandler/Mann/

Agin:

http://www.netspace.org/indy/issues/02-13-97/arts1.html

And if you ever see any of her images from - Hospice: A Photographic
Enquiry - quite amazing

Finally I just hope nobody out there ever reads their children that great
work of literary art "Alice in Wonderland" - surely not, written by a man
who liked to take pictures of little girls.

Well, that's this months rant out of the way - glad I managed it before the
30th, or would have had to have two in July :)