Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip Report - Fog
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:02:19 -0400

Hi, Wilbur -

Fogging was on the spool end - last five or six frames.   The only
consistent thing was that it was all TMax 400, but not all of the TMax
400.  I thought it was a camera leak at first and was trying to figure out
which of the 4 bodies I carried could be leaking, but then I noticed that
all of the Tri-X and other films were ok, so it wasn't a camera leak.  At
least the fogging is not so bad that I can't print the negatives.  It's
just a mystery!

Tina

At 12:57 PM 6/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina: I'm getting in on this at the tail end (so to speak). Question,
>fogging on the leader end or the spool end? Complete fogging edge to edge
>is usually one of two things (IMHO). Film was exposed to light by the A.
>Photographer  B. The Manufacture. As this is only on the one type of film
>and is the same amount (?) on each roll my vote would be a manufacturing
>glitch. Did this show up on different  processing batches or was it limited
>to one. I had something very similar happen 33 yr. ago with a Twin Lens
>Rollie, shooting Tri X 120 at a High School football game. Shot 2 rolls,
>ran them together. One was fine the other was fogged edge to edge. It was
>Kodak who goofed as we found 4 others rolls the same in that 20  roll
>brick. Usually heat failure will cause the asa to goof and you can get some
>fogging but it is usually mottled. You mentioned the X-Ray, if this was the
>problem then I think you would have more than just ends fogged. Hope you
>figure it out. Please let us know. BTW was this limited to just one camera
>body or to several?
>Cheers Wilber
>
>Brian Reid wrote:
>
> > I'd bet money that the fogging happened during development. I don't
> > know the Jobo processor. When I load my Nikor reels the last 5 or 6
> > frames are the ones closest to the outside. By any chance does the Jobo
> > put the end of the film in the middle of the spool?

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Trip Report - Fog)