Subject: [Leica] Re: Eisie, et al
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:11:45 -0400

B.D. makes a good point about Eisie's success being a more of a trade on his
personality than photographic artistry.

I don't think of Eisenstaedt as a particularly brilliant photographer, but
rather a pioneer in his good-natured genre.  After all, he was among the
first to use the 35mm format and minimal kit... the Leica and a 35mm lens in
particular...to good effect for reportage.  And, he was the author of some
of the basic tenants of candid photography.  "f8 and be there" may sound
childishly simplistic and obvious, but...by golly...it works!  (As witness
Herr Doktor Goebbels).

I admit that only a handful of Eisenstaedt's images represent great
photography.  But, among that small collection are instantly and universally
recognizable pictures that help define at least one view (the Life Magazine
view) of the past century.

For that matter, several heralded photographers have achieved fame through
just a few images each.  I defy most people, for instance, to describe more
than two (or even one) Joe Rosenthal photos or five from Eddie Adams.

In my view, Eisie was great...in his way.  Whether he achieved his greatness
through personality or artistry really doesn't matter.  Maybe his only true
talent was being able to insinuate himself into the (platonic) arms of
Marilyn Monroe and Sofia Loren.  It still counts.  He did make a difference.

Just because I think that, however, doesn't make me as a "Reader's Digest"
kinda guy.  Personally, I think Philip Jones Griffiths...the polar opposite
of Eisenstaedt... is a true master...ten times the photographer Eisie ever
was.  Yet,  others might view Griffiths as a pretentious propagandist.  It's
all subjective.

Just for grins, I'd be curious to know how Griffiths views Eisenstaedt.

Craig
Boston