Subject: [Leica] Neg film reccomendations
From: "Duane Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:38:30 -0500

Rick wrote:

Need your thoughts on neg films.  On Monday I'll be shooting a number of
groups of people wearing kilts
(35 people in each group). The venues range from steps outside halls to
inside the halls, with high ceilings.
Given the range of light I'll be in, indoors and out, and that its looking
like being a sunny winter day for the outdoor shots, I was thinking of using
Fuji NPH400 in my R8, with 50/2 and Metz 50.  So, do you have a favorite 400
speed neg film, for an application like this.  Has anyone used Royal Gold
400?

For group shots of 35 people, you really want the sharpest film you can get.
400 is fine if you are shooting a couple people at close range...  but you
want to be able to recognize all 35 of them...  So I'd use 100 whenever
possible, even more so if it is going to be sunny.

On the other hand 400 can be nice to keep ambient light indoors from turning
to night..... but...  Ambient light isn't always a good thing if there is
fluorescent lights on one side of the group and incandescents on the
otherside with a couple of windows to really mess stuff up..

But if you put the camera on a tripod.... (best solution for group shots
anyhow so you can concentrate on people instead of framing, focus and tech
matters..)  you can use a slower sync speed 1/15 or 1/30 with 100 ASA if you
decide you want more ambient light.  I use a remote release so I make sure
I'm not bumping the camera during exposure as well. I wouldn't recommend
handholding slow synched flash images...  But I'd use a tripod either way.
The big thing to watch is that you have enough depth of field to keep
everyone in the group sharp.

If it were me, I'd take both kinds of film and only use 400 as a last resort
after metering stuff.  But not being able to see the lighting or levels puts
us at a disadvantage..   I'm using Fuji Superia 100 and 400 for most of my
work these days... I recently had some 30x 40 inch prints made off of them
and I was blown away by the quality...  The Fuji films seem to handle mixed
lighting better too..  The Kodak rep has tried to get me to switch...but I
haven't been too impressed with what's available here in Ecuador.... but
there are some newer Kodak pro neg films that are supposed to be nice... But
at $9 a roll they should be.

Duane Birkey

Replies: Reply from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] Neg film reccomendations)