Subject: [Leica] recent "Street photography" experiences
From: "Duane Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:46:33 -0500

I just came back from a week of photographing people in rural communities of
southern Ecuador (41 rolls).  Most of these towns are pretty small and are
really out of the way.... so the chance of me going un-noticed was just
about impossible.  My host and I were the first "white" people some had ever
seen in person or at least talked to... if that gives you any idea.

My general strategy in really public places like markets is to hang out in
one spot long enough for people to ignore me and go back to their day-to-day
business.  Or as was more often the case where there were only a couple of
people around, I'd try to lighten the tension and start a conversation...
after investing 1/2 hour or 45 minutes, I'd start taking pictures again.
Children are always the easiest subjects as they want you to take their
pictures.... but they are the hardest to get to back to the point where they
ignore you and don't lean into the picture.

There were times when I was able to photograph people without them really
noticing it.... but very few pictures were taken where people were
completely unaware of my presence.  I have to use a 135 f/2 and a 80-200
zoom to have any chance of it.  But I prefer working closer with a 50, 85 or
90 when possible.

One town I was in is the home of a nationally well known and reputed
drug-lord...  He is rather easy to spot as he drives around town in a brand
new SUV and everyone else walks, rides a horse or in the back of a truck.

I had wandered around for a several hours each day I was there after getting
back from day trips taking photographs of people around town.  I decided
that shooting people coming through the square on their way to Sunday mass
would give me an opportunity to shoot lots of people in what is normally a
quiet town.  Everything was going along fine until I noticed a couple of
guys with cowboy hats, gold chains and one with sunglasses that were dressed
way far better than everyone else I had seen going into church or during the
entire week.  In hind-sight I am really glad I was just observing people and
looking for subjects at that moment and did not have the camera and
telephoto zoom up to my eye, as these guys gave me a stare during the 50 yd
walk all the way into the church that sent shivers up my spine.  I had
already gotten what I was looking for so I moved on and I decided it I would
be a bit more careful about the people I pointed a camera at after that.

Not too much later after mass, the new SUV was cruising around town and when
he went by me I instinctively smiled, said "hola" and while he greeted me
back....he did a head jerk that said.... "who is that gringo with the
cameras in my town who just said hi to me?"  I saw his car cruising the
streets and he passed by me several more times and I made sure both cameras
were always pointing down.

Everybody of course asked me what I was taking pictures for.  I told them I
was taking pictures for an eye clinic that we started in the nearby town of
Gonzanamá and besides pictures in the clinic, we wanted pictures of people
and life around the province too.  It took quite a while to convince people
I was telling the truth which usually meant answering questions about where
else I had been, about eyes, treatment, pricing, clinic hours and
directions....  I had to keep reminding them I was a photographer and not an
eye doctor..... but I was glad I had spent enough time around eye doctors
and the clinic to know the answers.  I'm not sure what would have happened
had I not had that allibi, I probably would not have gotten as many good
images.  But I am glad to be home again and that my next door neighbor
doesn't begin butchering pigs every morning at 4 A.M. Try sleeping through
that one, but that is a story for another day...

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador