Subject: [Leica] Re : Nokton v. lux again (was: Summicron 50)
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:31:21 -0700

John

>>It all depends what you want out of a 50/1.4. If it's purely the extra
speed, the Nokton is great for the money. If absolute sharpness is your
main
criterion, the Nokton is a nose ahead. If smooth gradation and
great-looking
bokeh is your bag then I'd definitely go for the lux.<<

I've never put much stock in the bokeh thing until recently. I had a chance
to compare photographs from my newly acquired 35/1.4 ASPH M and my '70s
vintage 50/1.4 M. There was definately a difference in the images,
especially in the out of focus areas.

After purchasing the 35/1.4 ASPH, I was going to sell the 50 Lux. But after
seeing the differences in the two lenses, I've reconsidered. I'm guessing
the difference is similar to a Nokton vs Summilux.

I like using the newer lens for color and the older lens for b/w. I've
pretty much soldered the 50 'lux on my M3. (Not literally, but I won't be
changing lenses.) The viewfinder on the M3 with a 50 attached is just about
as good as it gets. The M3 was made for the 50, and in many ways I much
prefer it to my M6. OTOH, I really miss internal metering.

My M3 is a very early model. It has old style shutter speeds. It was
converted to SS, which I much prefer over DS. It has a glass backplate, but
I've never had any problems with static streaks. I wonder if that was more
of an issue with films of the '50s.

My M3 lacks a preview lever. No matter, as I said I'll probably never put
anything but the 50 'lux on it from here on out. That leads me to another
point. I can't remember ever using the preview lever on my M6. It makes me
wonder how important PV really is. Anyone out there find PV essential.

Fortunately, I've got a ton of old PanF in the fridge. That'll allow me to
shoot at max aperture more often. Not much latitude in PanF. I may look
longer and harder at a new Cosina hot shoe meter.

Dave