Subject: Re: [Leica] M Polarizer
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:34:35 -0700

Robinsnes@aol.com wrote:

> I have had one for many years. The polarizer is kept in an old case from a
> teleconverter until it is needed. When attached to the lens, it can be left
> in front of the lens as the polarizer has its own shade. You probably
> couldn't burn a hole through the curtain unless you left it in the sun with
> the lens pointed up. If it is a concern, carry the camera so the lens points
> down or so it is not consistently in one place so that the suns rays can
> focus and create a burn hole.
> I have never thought that this was a fast shot thing. I tend to be slow and
> deliberate in my shooting and judging the amount of polarization is just
> another slow thing with an M camera. BTW, good use of a polarizer takes some
> investment in the image.
>
> Roger Skully
> robinsnestphotography.com

On a whim yesterday I bought a circular B+W not cheap polarizer at camera world
in the 39mm size to fit both my 50 and 35mm lenses.
With a Leica M I don't need a circular polarizer i need perhaps a multicoated
one so I'm paying some real money for what I don't want and not really getting
what I think I need. But I got a little bit of a deal on this perhaps and the
skies have been relentlessly blue the past week and every time i put on my
polarizing bifocals i see what my shots are missing.

So it looks like my lens shades don't work with this darn new polarizer. I'll be
needing to get little metal screw on ones from B+W. And we'll see how much they
block the viewfinder. Eventually I'm going to end up spending even more money on
a multicoated and possibly thin polarizers perhaps from Heliopan if not from
B+W. So this one may be just an expensive interim. But I'm going to have fun
with it. And get some great shots. Make all the fireworks line up in straight lines.
Mark Rabiner