Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 w SF 20 flash
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:52:53 -0500

Why not use the Metz mecablitz 34 CS-2??  Looks like it's the same size as
the SF20, but has a higher guide number.  Goes from 24mm to 85mm, looks to
me like the perfect companion for daylight fill-flash on an R8...
<<<<<<<<<<

I've been using one of these for about a week and a half now. It will
not work TTL on an R8, but for an automatic flash using its own
sensor, it is nice and more powerful than most.

I've been using the Olympus S-20 for a compact flash. It has the same
guide number as Leica's SF 20, and a diffuser to cover the angle of a
24 mm lens, but is much smaller (it can get lost in a pants pocket)
and runs on 2 AA batteries. It has two aperture ranges in addition to
full manual. At ISO 100, the selectable apertures are f/2.8 and f/5.6.

The Metz 34 CS-2 is, I believe, the same size as the Leica SF 20 but
a stop more powerful, with three selectable aperture ranges plus full
manual. At ISO 100, its selectable apertures are f/2, f/4 and f/8.
For me, this is much more useful, as I'll most often utilize a small
flash like this for fill. Setting the flash for f/2 and the lens for
f/2.8 yields a nice fill with a stop more ambient light than I can
get with the S-20 (or SF 20). It comes with two diffusers, one to
cover the angle of a 24 mm lens (which reduces output by a stop, to
what the S-20 and SF 20 cover normally) and one to cover the angle of
a 85 mm lens (which increases output by a stop). One diffuser can be
kept permanently on the flash, to be slid into place when needed, but
the other needs to be carried separately.

It also has settings two to be used as a slave flash, either firing
at the same as the main flash or with a brief delay (for use with TTL
systems). It comes with a small stand, which includes a tripod mount,
for slave use.

Downsides of the 34 CS-2 include using the tiny and sometimes hard to
find CR2 lithium batteries (which the instructions say are good for
just 100 flashes). And it has the absolute worst chart I've seen
printed on the back to figure flash ranges. Minimum distance is 10%
of the figure printed,  wide angle deducts another 20%, but telephoto
adds 20%. Sheesh! I created my own little chart with ranges for
normal, wide and tele, for all 3 aperture settings, based on
information in the instruction book, and taped it to the back of the
flash. The flash really wasn't useable for me until I did that. Which
is frustrating, since the Olympus flash comes with stickers with this
info that you put on the flash, and the Olympus costs 1/3 the price
of the Metz unit.

Both flashes have test buttons, flash ready lights and flash okay
lights on the back. The Metz has an additional light when set to
slave mode, a good alert if you've flipped the slave switch
accidentally (and I have).

Larry