Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:39:53 -0400

The theory is that the acetone (or any heavy duty solvent)
would...perhaps...damaged the lens coating and/or creep past the edge of the
lens and inflitrate the interior thus melting lens cement, etc..

Many of us are afraid of strong chemicals...or even their vapors...in the
vicinity of the cameras-we-could-never-afford-to-replace.  I damaged the
coating on an expensive ($70) Leitz UV filter once by inadvertantly exposing
it to the fumes of dry but apparently uncured ethyl cyanoacrylate cement
(i.e., Krazy Glue).  Now I won't even breathe on my Summicron unless at
least 72 hours have elapsed since my last ingestion of alcohol.