Subject: Re: [Leica] Age Poll
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:18:02 -0400

"The interesting thing about the BD poll thus far is the number of long-time
users who still have an avid interest in the camera system."
 - Bill Larsen

Bill got me to wondering how many "prodigal sons" there are among us.

For various reasons...many economic...some of us have wandered away from
Leica since our introduction to the camera several decades ago.  A Leica is,
after all, a luxury...especially to a family provider.  I bought my first
Leica...an M4...in 1968 but opted to sell it and the rest of my modest Leica
collection in the early 1980's.  I didn't regret the decision since the
proceeds met family needs, but I did miss my Leica gear.

In the years after the Leica sale I acquired examples from several other
(more affordable) camera makers.  But, none of the cameras seemed to handle
as well or produce pictures as nice as the Leicas had.  I say "seemed"
because my perception of Leica quality is wholly subjective.  Do my Leica
"chromes" REALLY look appreciably better than my Nikon or Olympus slides?
Maybe...maybe not.  But I sure THINK they do!

It doesn't matter.  When I was young and relqatively carefree I was
"spoiled" by owning what was...and still is...considered the finest example
of production camera crafting.  A few years ago, as my circumstances
permitted, I rejoined the ranks of Leica users.  It was a happy reunion.

For many of us, I suspect, a Leica camera represents much more than a
mechanical device.  Its true value may not be as a superior photographic
tool, but as a symbol and reminder of "good times."

Whaddya think?

Craig
Boston