Subject: Re: [Leica] Practical Photography review
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:42:05 -0400

"Did you ever notice that every time PP mentions a piece of high-quality
equipment they have to moan about the price?"
 -  John Hicks

Hi John,

Are you a Brit?

I lived in the U.K. for many years and observed that so-called "value for
money" was necessarily very high on the list of consumer priorities there.
I think we Americans have been spoiled by our relatively high disposable
incomes.  It seems to me that PP's "whining" about the price of high-quality
equipment is somewhat defensive.

I'm not defending the publication altogether, however.  I find some of
Practical Photography's editorial content offensively arrogant or at least
very rude.  For instance, their critiques of readers' photos are often
brutal...even cruel.  The poor saps who submit their snaps to PP for review
must be of a similar mindset to those folks who volunteer to appear on "The
Jerry Springer Show".

Craig
Boston (the one in Massachusetts)