Subject: RE: [Leica] Screwholes
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:18:16 +0100

Having just bought my first ever NEW (!) Leica lens, well actually it was
sold s/h but as new in box and all, I was aghast to discover how many screw
holes (thankfully filled with screws) there are in it.
It's a Tri-Elmar which I found for a little under half price (I'm not sure
the source was 'kosher') so 'ordinary' modern lenses might not be as bad,
but it seems to posess 12 screw holes around the barrel and rear entrance
(if you'll pardon the expression). It kind of takes away from the mystique
of having a sealed unit with no obvious entry point to it all. I think the
older lenses looked a lot smarter in comparison. I've yet to dev. the first
roll from it so hopefully I'll be able to forgive the designers after I've
seen the results!

Jem