Subject: [Leica] R8 Motor Drive Lesson
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:16:08 -0400

All,

From the learning from your mistakes department...

Went out to shoot this afternoon with an 8 month old R8, motor drive, 2x
apo extender (non-ROM) and the 70-180 ROM. Out on the boat, I pull the
camera up to my eye and, YIKES! What's going on with the display? Frame
number is blinking. Under/over exposure bars are lit up, in a strange
way. Everything is out of whack, display wise. I look on the back of the
camera and the frame number is blinking alternately with the DX
indicator. Are the electronics fried? Is the drive's nicads blowing out
the system? Something wacky with the extender/ROM zoom electronic
interface?

No change in the camera's controls seem to have any effect. Battery in
and out, no effect. Motor on and off the camera, no effect. Camera seems
to fire, but without a meter I'm guessing (which can be fun, but I'm not
in the mood today, no patience). I give up, and we go back to the house.

As I'm putting the camera away I notice that the automatic bracketing
lever has been bumped to +/-1. The "wacky" displays were not wacky at
all, it seems, just informing me of what the camera was set to do via
the motor's controls.

So next time you get bizarre readouts while using your R8 motor, check
the bracketing controls on the motor, at the very least. You'll be
wiser, as I am now, if you do.

David W. Almy
Annapolis

Message from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (IHBABLAIAGTRARUHGMCG WAS: [Leica] Re: Let's be realistic for a minute and anything elseon QC)