Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Digital
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 23:01:34 -0400

on 9/7/00 12:17 pm, Robert Jagitsch at robertj@powerlogix.com wrote:

> The Coolscan III was $675, Epson about $450. The 1270 prints b&w of
> very high quality. I haven't seen the piezo setups yet, but this
> setup has been more than good enough for me, I'm completely satisfied.

I have seen the Piezo prints and I think the 1270 prints are better by quite
a long way. Certainly the grain is finer. The downside of the 1270 is that
the carts are proprietary to Epson so you can't use other inks, or quadtone
inks. Nor are the images 'archival' by museum standards.

However, by mode-changing b/w images to quadtones, then into RGB, you can
simulate some of the quadtone qualities using the Epson's color inks. In any
case this gives better results than printing directly from grayscales. And
if you print using black ink on watercolor paper I think the images will be
pretty darn stable.

The 1270 would take a hell of a lot of beating in my opinion. The 2000p may
do it, of course, but the jury is still out and may be for a while yet. In
the meantime, my prints look lovely.

Incidentally, if anyone is still getting green/blue casts when printing
grayscales onto the 870 or 1270 from Photoshop, and ended up like I did
banging their head against a wall, email me for a wonderfully simple and
elegant solution I finally trawled up from a newsgroup.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com