Subject: Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:37:47 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Can someone describe the handgrip that comes with this lens?  Is it a
> simple, roundish palm rest that fits in the tripod screw or something more
> sophisticated?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Frank,
No sophistication involved, simply beautiful ergonomic design!  The hand
piece has it's own lens attachment screw that holds the hand grip right
to the lens where the tripod mount would be. There is a locking pin that
fits into the small hole on the tripod mount area of the lens so that
you have the screw locking the handle and the pin keeps the whole thing
from slipping around,

Anyone down in New Zealand?  If you're looking in used photo stores keep
an eye for mine as it got left in the hotel back in the days of the
Commonwealth Games. :-)  And you find that and that one will be one of
the recoveries of the century, never mind the R8 recovered in Malaysia. :-)

But this one little hand grip, actually it's more like a palm grip, as
your left hand accepts it easier than the roundness of the lens.  I'd
say if one buys a 280 and the grip is missing it's certainly worth
buying, as it makes the lens hand held user friendly.
ted