Subject: [Leica] LHSA cameras
From: "Barker, J. Madison" <Matt.Barker@KutakRock.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:26:31 -0500

Martin Howard wrote, in part:

"I also suspect that the camera stores' offers are separate from the LHSA
and
not organized by them.  They saw an opportunity to offer a service to their
customers and chose to do so.  Hence LHSA not announcing the possibility of
getting cameras through dealers and a free year's membership."

***

Martin, are you saying the dealers are selling at cost?  I find that hard to
believe.  If they are, good on 'em, and forgive me for being such a cynic
about their motives ($).  If, as I believe, the dealers are not selling at
cost, LHSA has to be involved, because the dealers are offering the cameras
for the same amount I paid (well, almost; I'll get to that in a sec).  And
that's what ticks me off:  the conditions of sale clearly implied (I admit
they didn't expressly state) that there was one price for everyone and one
way to get the camera:  by mail through LHSA.  Sales to dealers at a lower
cost, and exploitation of the dealer network, had to increase demand some
(merely by getting the word out if nothing else), which increases the number
of units, which decreases the collectibility value of my camera.  (I'm not a
collector and didn't buy the camera for that; I've probably put 100 rolls
through it already, but who wouldn't rather own one of a couple hundred
rather than one of a thousand?)  And even if dealers are selling at cost,
the price to the consumer is still lower through a dealer because of the
free LHSA membership; I paid for mine.

I don't begrudge LHSA any dollars they're able to earn from the cameras, and
I love my copy; by far the best camera I've ever owned.  I just don't like
to play a games unless I know all the rules before it starts.

Matt Barker

Replies: Reply from Robert Jagitsch <robertj@powerlogix.com> (Re: [Leica] LHSA cameras)