Subject: Re: [Leica] BW: Conventional and Crystal Films
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:03:10 +0100

>Dear all,
>
>usually I go for Kodak Tri-X, which, developed in Tetenal Negafin
>gives nice results. I usually try to develop to a bit higher contrast
>to use gradation 1 paper. But, as the advertisements of the industry
>assure us, you have to listen to unnecessary desires and buy other
>stuff, thus I ended up with an Ilford Delta 400. I develop in ORWO R09
>(p-Aminphenol, sort of Rodinal-ish), but the negatives appear to be
>flat. I used dilution 1+40 at 20C, 13 minutes, like said on the
>developers instruction (actually I used the Classic F09 instructions).
>The Efke (also classical film) developed in F09/R09 works fine. Is
>there something wrong with the developer or is it a feature of
>T-grain/core shell technology? After this, I'll stick to conventional
>films (except for Kodak TMZ).
>
>Cheers, Peter.

I share your experience. Delta 400 is not good in Rodinal (not that i find
them flat like you, I find the prints muddy). Other 400 films like HP5plus
are good in Rodinal. Other tabular grain films like Delta 100 are good in
Rodinal. That is my taste anyway. Yours may be different. Only testing
helps.

BTW,  I think it was on the pure silver list that someone reported that he
got very bad result with one film developer combination, but when he put
two diffrent films in that developer, the one that gave bad results plus
one Agfa, then both films looked great. Obviously there are no limits to
the things one can test,  but this igoes too far for me.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or
F-50590 Regnéville-sur-Mer, France