Subject: RE: [Leica] new leica rangefinder concepts
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:17:26 +0100

Greg,
The magnifying lenses on the front of those M3 / 35mm lenses and the 135
tele-Elmarit lens were effectively the sort of 'dioptre' adjustment you
envisaged, but clearly operating on the front of the viewfinder system
rather than the rear, and certainly not the zoom version that would be a
magical solution to our wishes.

I got the impression that Leica had explored the zoom viewfinder when LUG
members talked with them at the last Photokina, and it was sadly dismissed
as too bulky a concept to fit into the space available. I dare say that the
added compexity of having to accomodate a semi-silvered 45 degree glass to
project rangefinder image and frame lines into the viewfinder image did
nothing to make the zoom lens easier to design either!

Of course the old Leica screw series achieved this greater magnification by
having 1.5x magnification in solely the rangefinder image which
neccessitated it being seperate from the viewfinder. The only way forward
is to increase the size of the viewfinder, something which would not be
possible in the standard body shape. There is a further couple of
millimetres to 'play with' now the TTL body top plate is with us but I
believe that extra hieght is already spoken for...

The one design which bears something of a resemblance to what you wish for
is the Canon VT. This had a rotatable viewfinder which offered three
different magnifications, 35mm - about 0.4x, 50mm - about 0.8x and RF (for
focusing) - about 1.25x though the latter image was merely circular, rather
than a full rectangular frame. Leica did look at this option too but I have
not heard or seen anything to suggest that it is being considered further.

Jem