Subject: [Leica] why shoot black and white film?
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:35:51 -0700 (PDT)

I posted this to a couple photo newsgroups, but thought I'd ask here,
too.  This arose from a discussion Dan and I are having.  I thought
I'd solicit more opinions.  Oh, this is on topic because the camera
that makes the exposure will be a Leica, of course.  :)

If we make the assumption that you will be scanning your images and
then using Photoshop before either printing or putting the images back
to film, what advantages are there to using black and white film?

By shooting color negative film without filters, you can use color
channels in Photoshop to simulate the use of an on-camera filter.  You
have the added benefit of being able to compare the results of using
different colored filters to change contrast and tones.  Plus, if
you're shooting in lower light situations, you don't lose a stop or
more from the filter factor.

The main advantage I see is ease of development.  I can develop B&W
practically anywhere.  I need more equipment to do C41.