Subject: [Leica] Re: Novoflex site now in English!
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:15:20 -0700

Doug,

>>Optically, Dave's said it all, except I thought the 400 f/5.6 has 2
air/glass interfaces, just like the f/6.8 Telyts.<<

I agree with all your points regarding usability. Each one of the achromats
has it's strengths and weaknesses.

As soon as I sent my message I realized that the two elements were
cemented, thus 4 glass surfaces, but only 2 air to glass.

Most of the time I'll use my 400/5.6 on a tripod or monopod. But I have
handheld with good success. I said I missed having a shoulder stock, but
I'm not sure I'd use it much. The lens is pretty heavy, as you mentioned.

The extra half stop (of 5.6 vs 6.8) is important to me when using an R7.
The split image is clear at 5.6, but half of it blacks out when I stop down
even a half stop. For that reason, I use it wide open. Not an issue with an
SL, obviously.

Dave