Subject: Re: [Leica] why shoot black and white film?
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:35:52 -0700

Brougham,

>>If we make the assumption that you will be scanning your images and
then using Photoshop before either printing or putting the images back
to film, what advantages are there to using black and white film?<<

For digital, I see little advantage to shooting b/w film. A while back I
used XP-2 Plus, and even that was no big advantage over Portra 400VC, or
for that matter TX or D400. However, since I'm not ready to give up
darkroom printing of b/w yet, I'll still shoot b/w film. I'm just not
shooting as much.

I've played around with this for 6-months or so. I'm not 100 percent sold
on b/w digital. Perhaps part of me just doesn't want to give up on my
darkroom. Printing on a Focomat 1c is my idea of relaxation; especially
when I'm glued to a 21 inch monitor all day.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to commit to one direction or another --
digital or conventional. There's just not enough time to be proficient in
both, I don't think.

Dave