Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 02:01:17 -0400

Austin Franklin jotted down the following:

> I know that none of my images have ever been degraded (that I have noticed
> anyway) by using a UV filter, and my proof is in my, well, proofs.

Eh, *logically*, if all you've ever looked at are pictures taken through
lenses with UV filters mounted on them, then you can't actually say
*anything* about how that might differ from those without.  Of course you
wouldn't notice any degradation, because you have no base of comparison
(knowledge of what it could degrade from).

However, that minor technicality aside, I agree with your general point: I
would also welcome some well performed study on the subject.  As you
mentioned, 'knickers' and 'twist' seem to be the two operative words on this
subject, regardless of which side of the fence you stand on.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |       Harrisburg '79
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |       Chernobyl '86
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |       Windows '98