Subject: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:32:21 +0200

>I'm from the school of "scratched or dirty filter is cheaper than
>scratched or dirty front element".
>
>TIA
>Vick

Your school is about 40 years out of date!!!

Doesn't anybody understand the simple part of the optical physics of
light/glass/lens design?

I mean the obvious, hit you in the face, pretty hard to ignore, potential
problems with the use of ANY filter.

(and on and on and on...)

<<<

I just saw a red rag!
UV/skylight filters to me mean peace of mind and they have more than once
protected my lenses aganst physical attack and the environment.
Once it rained some strange stuff on the filter and left little rings where
the drops dried which couldn't be scrubbed off any way I could think of.
Chucked the filter and got a new one, basta.
Or the time an angry Punjabi woman (I'll explain off list :)) tried to use
my lenshood to grind the font of my lens to dust - goodbye ruined filter,
hello nice new filter. No problem.
I'll keep the filters and take them _off_ in special circumstances, not the
other way around.
I even carry spare filters - omigod!
As to the 21, it uses the same hood as the 24 and BW filters do fit the 24
if you mount them a bit loose, as Mark Rabiner pointed out. Otherwise you
can swap the glass out of a Hoya or other brand into the Leica filter mount
and save some money that way.
Rob (rank amateur, but not rich enough to afford new lenses every time it
rains some wierd shit).
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36
41100 MO