Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:37:43 -0400

> > However, that minor technicality aside, I agree with your general
point: I
> > would also welcome some well performed study on the subject.  As you
> > mentioned, 'knickers' and 'twist' seem to be the two operative words on
this
> > subject, regardless of which side of the fence you stand on.

> One can perform this "study" in the comfort of their own home (close to
the
> safety of the Leica display cabinet) with the aid of a lamp fitted with a
small
> quartz halide globe and and most any SLR/lens and UV filter.

> Filter in hand place it in front of and close to the lens (sans filter),
point the
> camera at the lamp whilst looking through the finder such that the lamp
> creates flare in the finder, rock the filter then pull the filter clear
is there a
> difference?

How about putting the camera on a tripod and actually taking a picture?
 How do you know some of the effect is not from the reflex viewfinder?  I
would also take measurements of angles and distances etc. to include in my
report, if you really wanted to make this more 'scientific'.

I believe your 'test case' is not really significant to picture taking.
 Not many people I know sit around and take pictures of  lamps fitted with
small quarts halide globes, though I am sure that there are some people in
the world who probably do.  Perhaps, if I worked for GE it would be a
different story ;-)