Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fittogether?
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 02:42:07 -0400

> > I know that none of my images have ever been degraded (that I have
noticed
> > anyway) by using a UV filter, and my proof is in my, well, proofs.

> Eh, *logically*, if all you've ever looked at are pictures taken through
> lenses with UV filters mounted on them, then you can't actually say
> *anything* about how that might differ from those without.  Of course you
> wouldn't notice any degradation, because you have no base of comparison
> (knowledge of what it could degrade from).

Of course I would notice image degradation.  So would my clients.
 Especially unwanted flare, which is what was brought up.

Aside from my own images, I see thousands and thousands of other people's
images, first hand in a lot of cases.  This gives me plenty of comparison.
  My images are equally (if not better in some cases) contrast, sharpness,
tonal range etc.