Subject: RE: [Leica] optical excellence and the human error factor
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:23:14 -0400

> Autofocus or manual focus would give you camera shake handheld at those
> speeds.

How's that?  When you manually focus, you are long done focusing prior to
pressing the shutter button.  Also, manual focus uses no drive motor that
has some backlash that will cause a minimal jerking motion that is just not
generated by manual focus.

> The point was that today's autofocus are certainly capable of more than
1/4
> sec at f1.4. The EOS is capable of EV0 and the F5 of EV-1.

Not necessarily.  There are many different types of autofocus systems, and
each one has its shortcomings.  Some cameras even use more than one!  If
the circumstances are not right, the autofocus just won't work right.  I do
not believe the EV is directly related to the ability of the autofocus
system, just the exposure system.

Replies: Reply from "Marthe.Rene" <marthe.rene@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] optical excellence and the human error factor)