Subject: Re: [Leica] How many of you use cold light heads?
From: Jesse Hellman <palio@miata.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 23:02:23 -0400

P.S. to my earlier post: why did I give up the cold light? Because it
was on an Omega B-8, which cannot do 4x5, and I wanted to be able to
print 4x5. At that time I had a Hasselblad, which I have since sold, and
never got a 4x5. I use my Leicas for all my shooting, which is a
combination of informal portraits, theater photography, travel, street
photography - all uses for which the M6 is perfect.

The LPL 4500 is supposed to be perfectly aligned, but it isn't. It is
sort-of-reasonably aligned. However, it is easy to get it perfect, by
use of a Versalab, which throws a laser beam up, which is then reflected
back of of the negative holder and from a glass slide attached to the
lens. You then use gaffers tape as shims - I shimmed my easel as well as
the negative carrier to be parallel with the lens. This is extremely
easy to do.

I use a glass carrier. There is absolutely no problem with dust IF the
darkroom is not too dry...

All of this works for me. Is what I am describing used by others on the
list??

Jesse Hellman