Subject: [Leica] Projector wanted - suggestions?
From: AppleMac97@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:35:33 EDT

<<Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:14:45 EDT
From: ZaaX@aol.com
I am in desperate need of a 35 mm projector. Can anyone suggest what I should
look for in a new or used one? The only feature that I know that I want is
autofocus. I do not feel that I need a heavy duty model as I will only need
it for personal use. I only need a short throw lens as the projector will not
be more that 8-10 feet from the screen (wall).
So what do you folks out there suggest that I buy, Kodak or what? Also where
would you suggest that I buy it from? Last of all is it worth buying used or
do they not drop that much in price Vs new?
BTW I live in the Detroit, MI area so if you know of any dealers that sell
this type of equipment please let me know.
I just shot 15 rolls of chromes on the East Coast and want to look at them
blown up to a nice size. Also my wife is tired of viewing slides with my
Leica loupe.
Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Zack
N8FNR>>

Zack:

The cheapest autofocus slide projector I am aware of is the Vivitar 5000AF.
It costs about $170 at B&H.  I have one and use it almost everyday.  But it
is suitable for small rooms only.  The bulb is not powerful enough for
projection over long distances.  The lens however is quite good, considering
the price of the projector.  And you do get a cabled remote control with it.
Kodak has a long line of slide projectors, with the autofocus models starting
around $350 (if I remember correctly).  Check www.kodak.com for descriptions
and specifications.  Leica of course manufactures superb projectors and
lenses, at breathtaking prices!  And there are many other brands.  If you go
to the B&H website, you can see photos and prices of many of these models.

Muhammad

Muhammad R.K. Chishty, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Finance
Graham School of Management