Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon LS-2000 Scanning
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:00:43 +0200

Peter,

You may simply have run into one of the inherent limitations of scanning. The
LS-2000 is an excellent scanner, but it is still difficult to capture detail in
a K25 or Velvia slide. I find that if a slide is contrasty, the scanner has
difficulty capturing it all. Incidentally, you would have similar difficulties
making an Ilfochrome print from such slides. No matter how you get the image
from slide to paper you will always lose some detail.

The 16x sampling helps in this regard in capturing shadow detail. The difference
is subtle but it is there.

Nathan

Peter Zak wrote:

> I've seen many mail lately about the techniques for getting the best out of
> a scanner.
>
> I've a Nikon LS-2000 running firmware 1.31 and Nikonscan 2.51.   I use
> Photoshop 5.5 under Mac OS 9.  No matter how hard I fiddle with all of the
> settings, I can't seem to get a result that REALLY does my slides true
> justice.
>
> When I examine the slides under a loupe or with a projector I see much that
> the scanner is simply failing to pick up.  I notice this most with Kodacrome
> 25 and Velvia - I've been advised by the local Nikon service techos to turn
> the Nikon colour management off when scanning Kodachrome.
>
> Also, I also have great trouble determining the difference between a normal
> scan and one done at 16 x sampling.
>
> Any suggestion welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter Zak.