Subject: Re: Was Re: [Leica] Vancouver LUG meeting, NOW Grip
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 10:44:22 -0700

At 9:27 AM -0600 7/22/00, Noel H. Charchuk wrote:
>Dan C wrote:
>It's the substantial part that worried me.   I have the current Leica
>grip,
>and to be honest, it is right at the edge beyond which the petite M6 turns
>into a modern SLR sized monster.   Also, "machined" means metal:  how much
>do they weigh?
>
>The grip is made of metal, but is very light. Tom A can probably tell you
>exactly. As to "substantial" yes it is a lot more like a SLR type of
>style, but I for one would feel more comfortable scrambling over rocks
>holding Tom's version than the skinny little Leica one I have seen, held,
>but admittedly not used.

The main things are that it has a small flange at the top of the grip so
that it doesn't slip out of your hand, it doesn't flex like the Leica one,
it has a place to store extra batteries (looks like about 2 or 3 of the
Lithiums) and a 'Softie', and it fits on the Camera by itself or the
Rapidwinder.

I _think_ I got this correct. Tom will have the full specs in a while ;-).
Remember, this was just the machined alumminum alloy body we saw. It's
largely worked out, but as with the Rapidwinder (and Leicas) continual
adjustments are likely to and will be made.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com