Subject: Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:04:50 -0700

Dan Post wrote:

Having re read Erwins Post and Dan Post's Post here is my last take on the
diffraction limited issue now that Erwins gotten me to fully understand it and
Dan has added some interesting curveballs.
(that's diffraction not distraction. You can ADD me to THAT list!)
And this really does not address the term specifically but just shooting in general!!
.
I've absorbed a few rules over the years that are generally good:
Stopping down all the way is generally to be avoided as there will often be
diffraction issues there but not so much if you can open up at all.
A smarter tact is to not stop down any more than you really have to.
If you can get the shot from front to back at f8 why shoot it at f16?
Yes you have that option if you are using a tripod but we know that many lenses
perform better at f8.
IF we're shooting a flat facade from flat on why not shoot it at 5.6 instead of
f8 is what I've absorbed over the last couple of years being on this list and
shooting more 35mm.
The main issue is being careful to not stop down more than you really have to.
Personally I am a big fan of sharp foregrounds;
	...the bottom of the print being tact sharp right where I sign my little name
in pencil!
I get that when ever possible but not always!
Mark Rabiner

Message from Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke)
Message from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke)