Subject: [Leica] "Things" that catch your eye!
From: "Hugh Thompson" <painfree@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 01:28:43 -0400

Robert Appleby and Ken Wilcox noted, in earlier posts, that they are not
good landscape photographers, and Doug Herr noted he prefers wildlife:-

While walking my dog in a conservation area today, I was taking pictures of
"things" that caught my eye - reflections on the water of a pond, a purple
flower silhouetted against a tree, a log with moss growing on it, a pool of
light in the forest, bright leaves against a dark background - "things" that
stimulated a desire to retain the image, and represented a challenge to see
if what you saw can be reproduced in the print.

This may not be landscape photography, as such, but it is working with the
landscape in a micro way.  We all are interested in different things, for
instance, my wife does not see many of the "things", I see, as interesting
to her.  Perhaps I am more observant of visual "things".

When I was lucky enough to work with a more experienced photographer on a
regular basis, he had me doing some basic exercises, shooting solid colour
only for a day, or, if black and white, looking for stripes, or, only
looking down, and this stimulated my eye.  Perhaps, by going back to the
basics, we can open up new avenues for our photography, and give ourselves
immense pleasure at the same time.

Cheers for now - Hugh Thompson