Subject: Re: [Leica] ASPH vs Non-ASPH
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 06:16:28 -0700

Peter Zak wrote:

> I've found a 35mm Summicron for sale - which has made me seriously think
> about trading up from my last model non-ASPH 35mm Summicron.
>
> Is there any feedback on this move, bearing in mind that all comments are
> biased to justify the $$ just spent.   Are the ASPH's really that good ?<<<<<<<<

G'day peter,
The ASPH are definitely an improvement over the non, no question.
However,  appreciated wide open more than any place else after stopping
down.

Is it worth the dollars to upgrade?  Nope, not unless you are expecting
to shoot the bulk of your pictures wide open or no more than a stop down
from there.  Or money is no object (we should all be so lucky) ;-)

If I were buying my first Leica lens and there was ASPH available I go
that route, but in your case you wont see much difference for the
dollars unless you have the lenses side by each on the same roll of
film, subject and shooting wide open.  Sure there is some over all
improvement when stopped down, but in most cases not discernible unless
you are comparing lens to lens, even then it would be difficult unless
you have the camera locked down on a tripod and super fine grain film.

At this time save your dollars, put it into film and shoot pictures and
have fun being a photographer.
ted