Subject: Re: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:38:57 -0700

Craig Roberts wrote:

> "...is there a less expensive film scanner on the market that still delivers
> quality scans?"
>
> The Agfa Snapscan e50 is excellent for 35mm transparencies and costs less
> than half the price of the Canon or Minolta. The little Agfa scanner is not
> so good with negs, but you can shoot black and white with Agfa Scala or
> shoot color and convert it to black and white in the digital stage.
>
> Craig
> Boston

Your film scanner is your enlarger and your enlarging lens built into one.
In my opinion this is not a place to save money in your work chain from your
Leica negs.
Forget digital cameras it's these film scanners which are the key tool in your output!.
Nothing like quality RESULTS to make you enjoy your Leica cameras.
Shooting pictures is fun. But looking at the nice results that YOU MADE from
that camera/lens is much funner.
I scan my 35mm Nikon LS-2000 and having had it for 9 months there is not a new
unit out there that as "taken over."
In this electronic computer age that is AMAZING!
I think I'll be using this thing for years long after it has reached relic status.
And I do larger than 35mm scanning on a Umax PowerLook III flatbed which have
proved for more useful than I even thought.
So if you don't have the cash I'd SAVE UP or SELL THAT CHEVY! and get a scanner
you can be proud of..
..wont get you beat up after school!
Mark Rabiner

Replies: Reply from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] home b&w processing)